Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Finnish Stew

When I was young I had a new neighbor move in, and she was Finnish (as in from Finland, the country). Anyway I had a crush on her. Unfortunately it never worked out, I was 10 she 35 and there was a husband, you know. Anyway... she knew how to cook, Doughnuts with cardamom (a spice), breads, and meals, including this one Finnish Stew.

(Although she did not use canned soup, she made her own cream of mushroom soup)

Chuck Steak
Thick boneless Pork chops
1 tbsp butter
1 can golden Mushroom soup
1 pkg frozen baby Lima beans(*)
2 carrots (sliced)
white rice
Melt butter in a skillet, cut the steak and pork onto 1" cubes place and brown.
Place meat in a greased 1 1/2 to 2 quart casserole pan with frozen Lima beans carrots and soup. Place in oven and cook for 1 1/2 hours at 350 degrees.
(*) If using canned Lima beans do not add until last 1/2 hour.
Serve over rice
As a kid I hated carrots, (I no longer hate them, I just don't trust them) and I believed Lima beans were something they fed to prisoners on Devils Island (yech). As I've grown up I found that Lima beans are still nasty. But I will eat them in this meal just as I did when I was young.
This was the only meal I will eat with those little green alien kidney looking things.

No comments:

Post a Comment